[lug] Debian is better?

jdavis lug at taproot.bz
Sun Dec 15 17:42:52 MST 2002

Hello,
  While at BestBuy this weekend I spoke to there Linux install
tech. He informed me that I am almost a looser for using
RedHat and not Debian, he then proceded to hit me about the
face with a CDRW. Just kidding about the CDRW. So I installed
Debian on a extra hardrive. After a weekend of Debian use I
wonder if I am missing something. I did not find apt-get easier
to use than rpm, givien this is 2 years of rpm exp vs. 1 weekend
apt-get exp...but I am a much more Linux informed user than I was
2 years ago...even 6 months ago. I could not get the video drivers
from Nvidia to compile either, error was...the compiler you are
trying to use is not the same one that compiled your kernel??
Anyway, I like the idea of using new distros and would like
to continue to explore Debian as a replacment desktop distro..
(due largley to dislike of rh8) Is Debain a good option for
a Desktop distro? I ask this because Ximian Gnome wont work for
Debian3.0 (3.0 is the stable right?) and xine bitched when i used
apt-get...mplayer cried, Evolution worked :) So i just want to know
if I am wasting my time or...I just need to learn more (with in reason)
about Debian and non-Redhat Linux. I also once heard refrence on this
list to stale and broken being the main Debain relases..is this cause
for concern when picking a desktop distro. The tech at Best-Buy also
said that Debian is more powerfull than Redhat...I dont really know
what he means by that. I actually think its the dumbest thing I have
heared in a while. Really, what makes a Linux distro more powerfull than
another? I would say support contracts and software that *works*...
as well as the ability to customise. I think Redhat comes *closer* than
most to to gettting a 10/10 on all. Back to the subject...I would
like to hear peoples desktop distro choice and why, and exp you have
had with other distros to make $X your default.

Hope someone actually reads this far :)

thanks,
jd