[lug] X with duel monitors problem

Paul Nowosielski Paul at aconcept51.com
Sun Dec 29 08:02:32 MST 2002

Hi all,

I'm try to set up multiple moniters/vid cards on my system.
I'm using an NVIDIA GF-2 and an S3 card.
Either card works fine independently BUT when I try to start them
together it freezes X, keyboard, and mouse.One monitor goes black and
the other will start the standard xinit screen.

I have to SSH from another machine and kill X or do a hard restart to
get the system functioning again.

the Nvidia card is AGP and the S3 is PCI. I've tried switching between
the two cards in the bios with similar results.

 I would like to run them as two separate monitors/windows managers and
not use the xinerama option.

 Also the Nvidia card has a TV out which I do not use, but I don't tell
X this in the config file and don't think it has any thing to do with
the problem, just thought I'd mention that.

Does anyone have experience with duel monitor support who could advise
me??

Thanks!

Paul Nowosielski