[lug] Rehash: Ethernet Sound Card

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Thu Jan 9 01:17:24 MST 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> Some of you may recall the somewhat tiresome thread I started about an
> "Ethernet Sound Card."  Sadly, I have deleted my old LUG mail so I can't
> continue the thread.
>
> The reason I bring it back up, however, is that it seems someone has done
> exactly what I was talking about.  Slashdot has an article at
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/08/1324235&mode=thread&tid=137
> and my original message is available at
> http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/bymonth/2002.09/msg00107.html
>
> They guy's actual page is totally /.ed right now, but it looks like it
> takes raw PCM over Ethernet.  The only difference seems to be that he is
> using a custom CPU instead of a DAC.  Why he is doing that, I have no
> idea.  But then, I'm not an EE :-P

I wonder if there is something similar to PCM for video? It'd be
interesting to build a multicast server in the house that is capable of
feeding S-VHS or composite video and audio to several rooms all at the
same time from a central server in the house closet. Gigabit is actually
getting cheaper (some of the dual proc mobo's now have gigabit
integrated), so I'm sure it could handle the load on the network end.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com