[lug] Apache displays binary instead of prompting to download.

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jan 13 13:33:31 MST 2003

On Monday 13 January 2003 02:08 pm, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> * Elyse Grasso (emgrasso at data-raptors.com) wrote:
> > Hi --
> >
> > We have some files available for download on our website, including
> > exes that are self-extracting zip files, and windows doc files.

You need to make sure that apache sends them with the right mime type and
that your browser knows what to do with that mime type.

You can either edit /etc/mime.types, or look for a line with "AddType" in
your /etc/httpd/httpd.conf file.  For instance, mine has:

AddType application/x-tar .tgz
AddType application/octet-stream .csv

Then check out your browser config.

--michael