[lug] RH WiFi card

William Jarosko wjarosko at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 20 21:10:29 MST 2003

Just an FYI and I'm sure a few people in this LUG know this information
already but I'd thought I'd add it to the group.

I recently added wifi support for RH8.0 not planning on using my current
card but upgrading in the near future.  The card is a Microsoft MN-520.
Picked it up cheap, cheaper than most of the others.  Since the wife
needed a way to connect with the laptop at work, this card was a path of
least resistance.

Doing a little research the chipset is a prism 2.5.  Using the RPMs that
Timothy Miller has put together had the heart in place in less than a
half hour.  And to top it off the only change that was necessary was to
add the following to the wlan-ng.conf file:

card "Microsoft Wireless Notebook Adapter MN-520"
   manfid 0x02d2, 0x0001
   bind "prism2_cs"

The only reason I throw this out there is the cards themselves can be
picked up from time to time on ebay around the high twenties to low
thirties.  Call it blasphemy or whatever you'd like, just thought I'd
save someone else the headache of setting up the conf file.

Bill