[lug] configure && make && make install

Harris, James James_Harris at maxtor.com
Tue Jan 21 08:34:42 MST 2003

> I wondered if anyone has insight into how I can accomplish this "poor
> man's package management" quickly and easily.

I can't claim creativity on this one... If you've ever made an RPM, you'll
recognize it.  :)  For a majority of packages, this will work.

./configure && make && make DESTDIR=/var/tmp/pkgname install.
Then tar it up starting in /var/tmp/pkgname.

In essence, it will create the entire FS structure using /var/tmp/pkgname as
/.  The only catch can be with links.  Depending on how links are created,
you can run into problems.  I usually do a find for symlinks and verify that
they're created using relative paths before creating my "package".