[lug] Video card recommendations

jdavis mohadib at ns2.taproot.bz
Thu Jan 30 16:56:41 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 16:00, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> Well, it's time to get a new video card.  I picked up a flat panel a few
> months ago and am ready to get a card to do it justice.
>
> It is one of these:
> http://www.sel.sony.com/SEL/consumer/ss5/office/displaymonitors/lcdseries/sdm-m81_specs.shtml
>
> Right now I'm driving it a 1024x768 with a 2 meg video card :-(
>
> What I am looking for (in rough order of importance):
>
> - Available
> - "good"* Free Linux drivers
> - DVI-I output
> - Cheap
>
> "Nice to haves":
>
> - NTSC out
> - "good"** 3d performance
> - other whiz-bang stuff like MPEG hardware (enc or de-enc)
> - NTSC in
> - Lots of ram that I can use for swap (seriously, see
> http://hedera.linuxnews.pl/_news/2002/09/03/_long/1445.html)
>
> TIA for any advice.
>
> -Peter

i hate to beat a dead horse...but you asked...

I have found the performace of all products with a Nvida
chipset to kick ass on Linux. There are free drivers written
for Linux that provide 3d action that is not even neared by
the competiotion. In fact...my exp. with ATI on Linux suked..
Could not even get the lamest 3d going...and DVD playback as
well as AVI was unbareable.
 So, the NVIDA G-Force 4 440 is about $50 - $80 depending..
it has 64mg ram and crazy bandwith..and very easy to overclock
using nvclock. I had its little brother the 420...(he he 420..how
fitting) wich has a little more than half of the 440s data throughput
and it was great.

$.02
jd
jd at taproot.bz