[lug] USB 2.0 and other HW issues

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Thu Feb 6 11:17:25 MST 2003

* Ferdinand Schmid (fschmid at archenergy.com) wrote:
> HI,
> I am currently looking at new motherboards.  It appears that USB 1.1
> has just about disappeared from the current models.  Linux on the
> other hand doesn't support USB 2.0 yet.  I understand that this will
> be part of the 2.6 kernel.

USB 2.0 works in 2.4.20.  I just had to buy a PCI USB 2.0 card for my
machine, it works without hitch for USB 1.1 devices.  I have not been
able to try it with an 2.0 devices, as I don't have any.  The USB
subsystem on my motherboard died.  The module you want is usb-ehci.  You
also have to have usb-ohci loaded for the 1.1 devices.

> Ditto for chipsets - on the AMD side it is now just about completely
> Via 8x (SIS 8x) ...  Not properly supported under Linux yet.

I hadn't heard this.  What kind of troubles?

> Are we back to the days when you had to hand pick components to make
> them work under Linux or am I missing something (somewhat likely)?

Never had to do that, even when I had a cutting edge motherboard (which
was few years ago).  Even if something was not optimized, it still
worked.

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==