[lug] RH 7.3 failure of X11 after KDE update

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Sun Feb 9 20:12:43 MST 2003

D. Stimits said:

> Updating all of these KDE packages somehow seems to have indirectly
> destroyed the xfs font server, though I can't see how/why. Downgrading
> all of the previously upgraded packages does not fix this. Whichever
> configuration file has been altered is unknown; I ruled out
> /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, it hasn't been altered, except for me doing the
> hand addition of a manual font path till it is figured out. Does anyone
> here have any suggestions on what may have been altered in upgrade KDE
> from ftp://updates.redhat.com/7.3/en/os/i386/ ? I did upgrade some other
>  things like the pdf from that site, but I see nothing related to X11 or
>  the font server other than KDE.

I'm not an RPM guru, but have you tried re-installing XFree86-xfs-4.2.0-8
from the RPM using some combination of --replacepkgs and/or
--replacefiles?

You might even be able to figure out what happened by listing the files in
the package (-l) and diff-ing any config files with the old ones (which
will have .rpmsave apended to them).

-Peter