[lug] OT: web design etiquette Q

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Feb 11 20:41:43 MST 2003

Quite a few web design books suggest that it is unethical to open
someone else's web site in your own pages in such a way that it isn't
obvious that this is someone else's site. So for example if a URL for a
download points to a page of downloads from a different web site, it
might use the
   <a target="_blank"...>
to emphasize that this isn't the original site's, especially if frames
are involved. I'm trying to do some conversion from a loose DTD to a
strict DTD html 4.01, and have found the unpleasant surprise that target
is not supported in any way, not even via some form of CSS attribute. A
few people said use javascript...which really sucks if you expect text
based browsers, or want to entirely avoid the javascript compatibility
plague among browsers. Does anyone here have any philosophy on this, as
to how it should be handled? E.G., dump strict DTD? Use javascript
anyway? Or just open the link in the current window and give up on
target="_blank"? Or perhaps there is something in the frameset DTD and
even a non-frames page should become frameset (I haven't played with
frameset DTD, just loose DTD with frames...but it seems to be a given
that frameset DTD has to have a target attribute)?

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com