[lug] OT: web design etiquette Q

John Starkey jstarkey at advancecreations.com
Tue Feb 11 22:32:30 MST 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-11 at 20:41, D. Stimits wrote:
> Quite a few web design books suggest that it is unethical to open
> someone else's web site in your own pages in such a way that it isn't
> obvious that this is someone else's site. So for example if a URL for a
> download points to a page of downloads from a different web site, it
> might use the
>    <a target="_blank"...>
> to emphasize that this isn't the original site's, especially if frames
> are involved. I'm trying to do some conversion from a loose DTD to a
> strict DTD html 4.01, and have found the unpleasant surprise that target
> is not supported in any way, not even via some form of CSS attribute.

Dan, you know HTML is outdated by 2 years? It was dropped in favor of
XHTML 1 in Dec 2000? A move to merge HTML and XML over the next few
years.

In case you don't have a specific reason to use 4.01 - sorry, can't help
there. 4.2 and XHMLT 1 have a Frameset doctype - specific to framed
pages.

>From http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/

"XHTML 1.0 Frameset - Use this when you want to use
Frames to partition the browser window into two or more frames."

HTH,

John

--
John Starkey <jstarkey at advancecreations.com>