[lug] Programming

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Fri Feb 21 18:16:34 MST 2003

jd wrote:

> >I think, if you wrote you app in Win32 perl you could
> >simply statically compile it and negate the need for a
> >perl interpretor on each of the clients. I haven't done
> >that personally (I'm strictly a unix admin) but sounds
> >like it may be a viable solution. Checkout the manpage
> >for perlcc. I have done that for unix systems that didn't
> >have perl installed.
> >
> >	--joey
> >
> >_________________________________
>

> wow, thats neat...didn't know that :) I will definitely try this..
> On a side note...I would like to learn a compiled language
> that will work for Windoz and Linux. If I start learning
> MS Visual C++, Could i write c++ progs for Linux with it?
> I know this is probably a dumb question :)

The IDE makes a nice editor. You could not comnpile for linux on it. You
could not use any MS features on Linux, and almost everything on VC++
seems riddled with MS proprietary items. If you wrote core code that has
nothing to do with MS frameworks or extensions (which isn't easy), then
it would in theory compile also on Linux (this requires some
discipline). If you use STL, you'd have to use something like the boost
STL on windows, the MS version of STL is...well..."not up to standards
in almost every case".

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com