[lug] Programming

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Feb 21 23:20:03 MST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-21 at 18:16, D. Stimits wrote:
> jd wrote:
>
> > >I think, if you wrote you app in Win32 perl you could
> > >simply statically compile it and negate the need for a
> > >perl interpretor on each of the clients. I haven't done
> > >that personally (I'm strictly a unix admin) but sounds
> > >like it may be a viable solution. Checkout the manpage
> > >for perlcc. I have done that for unix systems that didn't
> > >have perl installed.
> > >
> > >	--joey
> > >
> > >_________________________________
> >

> > wow, thats neat...didn't know that :) I will definitely try this..
> > On a side note...I would like to learn a compiled language
> > that will work for Windoz and Linux. If I start learning
> > MS Visual C++, Could i write c++ progs for Linux with it?
> > I know this is probably a dumb question :)
>

> The IDE makes a nice editor. You could not comnpile for linux on it. You
> could not use any MS features on Linux, and almost everything on VC++
> seems riddled with MS proprietary items. If you wrote core code that has
> nothing to do with MS frameworks or extensions (which isn't easy), then
> it would in theory compile also on Linux (this requires some
> discipline). If you use STL, you'd have to use something like the boost
> STL on windows, the MS version of STL is...well..."not up to standards
> in almost every case".

The Visual C++ .NET compiler is very good about standards compliance.
Not quite perfect, but close enough.  (Note, this is _not_ the Managed
C++ or the C# compiler, it is actual VC++ 7.0, it's just called .NET.)

You can easily use the editor and IDE environment to write cross
platform programs.  You have to write your own classes to abstract
anything that isn't standardized, like directory access, windowing
libraries and networking.

It isn't really hard to avoid using MS frameworks.  You can't use their
IDE support to build dialog boxes or event handlers, but it isn't a
great loss.

I recommend writing your code with both Linux and Windows environments
available if you want cross platform.  VMware is great for this.  After
you make changes, compile for both Windows and Linux and test both
immediately.  It will save you time to catch it right away if you
accidentally did use something not supported.
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>