[lug] OT: Re: combatting hard drive heat (and electonics stores)

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Feb 23 20:58:34 MST 2003

Gateway Electronics closed their doors at the end of the year.  They used to
have a lot of surplus electronics, and for a while they had some excess
peliter's so they had a demo board on the counter that had a peltier and a
small power supply and a momentary-on switch.  No matter how many peltiers
you put on the drive, you still have to find a way to get the heat out of
the case... fans seem the answer, where ever they can be mounted.  Sounds
like the repair costs are already starting... don't let it burn up the rest
of the machine!  (GRIN)

The only decent electronics component place left in the metro area seems to
be JB Saunders in Boulder, and they reduced their business hours to not
include weekends, from what I've heard... and because of that I can't
typically get up there to Boulder to buy from them... they'd be better off
closed on Monday and open on Saturday, I'd think... but for now I have to
order things from out of town for projects and experiments...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com