[lug] Programming

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Mon Feb 24 19:39:19 MST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-24 at 18:53, jd wrote:

> I decided to go with Java, for this application and my new language.
> As Ed said, java is very well documented (java.sun.com/docs) and
> its just like perl..well i have to decalare a few things
> and the lack of $ before vars is still hard for me to get used to ,
> but look at my second "hello_world.java"...

Hi jd,

As my North-Eastern friends would say, "Cool beans!"  ;-)

Also, check out java.io.File:

  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/index.html
  http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/java/io/File.html

which contains definitions for things such as path generation and
parsing routines [eg. getPath(), getAbsolutePath()] that are platform
independent (helpers for abstracting the path separator character and
"root" of the file system).  If you develop on Linux and deploy to
Windows, then you'll want to get acquainted with these methods.

good luck!
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483