[lug] partitioning limits on scsi/RH (KRUD) 8.0

bof bof at pcisys.net
Tue Mar 4 16:05:38 MST 2003

D. Stimits wrote:

> ...which reminds me, anyone know if grub works for the boot loader to
> FreeBSD without any special tricks?

This is for my FreeBSD setup on the second hard drive, Red Hat being on
the first. (From bitter experience, I don't like mixing file systems
types on one drive).

You'll have to read up on how grub looks at partitions if you run both
on one drive, and it may take some experimenting as FreeBSD does not
number partitions like Linux.

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
#
# NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
#          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
#          root (hd0,4)
#          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda8
#          initrd /initrd-version.img
#boot=/dev/hda
default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-24.7.x)
        root (hd0,4)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-24.7.x ro root=/dev/hda8 hdd=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.18-24.7.x.img
title FreeBSD
        root (hd1,0,a)
        kernel /boot/loader