[lug] LGPL question

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Mar 4 16:10:01 MST 2003

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> Something that I can never remember the rules to:
>
> Can you link a static library that is LGPL to a non-free program without
> the license "infecting" the non-free program?  Does the library have to
> be shared in order for the program to be linked to a LGPL library (I
> know doing this with a shared library works fine - that's why libc can
> be used with proprietary apps)?  If it must be a shared library, can you
> dlopen() an LGPL static library from within a non-free program without
> the LGPL affecting that program?

Hey, Chris, I told ya! We could use more meetings with those IP attorneys :P

It sounded to me like it is untested ground for dlopen(), though static
would always be a no-no. People argue about this, but until it goes to a
court, we'll never know. *MY* view here is that the API can be
proprietary, in which case dlopen() is a problem when you use their API.
But in cases where the API itself is not proprietary, dynamic linking
seems to be ok. [as you mentioned, nothing linking to glibc that is
proprietary would ever be legal if not]

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com