[lug] [OT] (X)emacs mode for xslt?

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Wed Mar 12 13:00:20 MST 2003

rm at fabula.de wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 09:24:54PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> >Sorry, I don't use emacs (but I'm a nice guy anyway). I've been looking
> >for XSLT tools lately though, and found xsltproc so far to be the best
> >available, with too many problems using apache and other tools.
>

> Which xsltproc are you refering to? The (x)emacs mode or the cli to
> Daniel V. libxml2/libxslt? I use the later daily and use the library
> heavily in my projects. BTW, there are several apache modules that
> use libxslt for XSLT transformation -- i actually use the library in
> one of my customers  sites to do life transformation of their web
> content which is stored as XML (custom module, site is at www.zeit.de).
> The performance is pretty impressive, esp. if compared to Java(tm) based
> solutions.

On Redhat 7.3 and 8.0, there is a file "xsltproc" that I use, owned by
the rpm libxslt. I'm not positive, but I think it is part of (or an
offshoot from) gnome.

> >I am
> >just curious if you have any experience with xsltproc? I'm finding that
> >throwing together an xhtml doc from it isn't as easy as it looks at
> >first (the goal being a different stylesheet for different browsers and
> >different javascript support...write the page once, get XSLT to
> >transform it based on browser).
>

> It actually _is_ a pretty convincing way of handling content. Thank's
> to the transformations one can finaly store the content in a device-
> independent form with semantic markup. Less so for different browsers
> (with the exception of JavaScript these tend to get more standard
> compliant these days) but more so for different media (like WAP,
> imod, screen readers for the blind etc.).

Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to do. I would not (at least not
immediately) be running it as cgi or live conversion, but would create
static pages and copy the pages to the web site. If it works out nicely,
I might then try to do live generation. It seems like this could be an
extreme time-saver, along with avoiding typographic errors at times (I
edit my web pages by hand, either with vi or some syntax highlighting
editor that is NOT a WYSIWYG system...WYSIWYG always seems to create
broken code or inadequate code).

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com