[lug] [OT] (X)emacs mode for xslt?

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Mar 12 13:18:46 MST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 01:00:20PM -0700, D. Stimits wrote:
> [...]
> On Redhat 7.3 and 8.0, there is a file "xsltproc" that I use, owned by
> the rpm libxslt. I'm not positive, but I think it is part of (or an
> offshoot from) gnome.

Yes, that's the libxslt tool (which is the sister library to libxml2
by Daniel Veillard -- also known as gnome-xml).

> [...]
> >It actually _is_ a pretty convincing way of handling content. Thank's
> >to the transformations one can finaly store the content in a device-
> >independent form with semantic markup. Less so for different browsers
> >(with the exception of JavaScript these tend to get more standard
> >compliant these days) but more so for different media (like WAP,
> >imod, screen readers for the blind etc.).
>
> Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to do. I would not (at least not
> immediately) be running it as cgi or live conversion, but would create
> static pages and copy the pages to the web site. If it works out nicely,
> I might then try to do live generation. It seems like this could be an
> extreme time-saver, along with avoiding typographic errors at times (I
> edit my web pages by hand, either with vi or some syntax highlighting
> editor that is NOT a WYSIWYG system...WYSIWYG always seems to create
> broken code or inadequate code).

Well, my customer switched from a static-render model (a _very_ expensive
"commercial" solution) over to live rendering -- it makes the workflow
so much easier for all involved parties. Rendering of a weeks edition
took several hours (on a Sun Enterprise box) ....
Keeping a single "master version" of an article was one of the goals
for the new system (sometimes the editor in charge _has_ to be shure
that an article got changed everywhere on the website :-/

 Ralf