[lug] File server case

Ferdinand Schmid fschmid at archenergy.com
Thu Mar 13 15:23:55 MST 2003

--On Tuesday, March 11, 2003 12:14:42 PM -0700 Orion Poplawski
<orion at cora.nwra.com> wrote:

> I'm looking into putting together a linux file server and was
> wondering if anyone had found a case they particularly like.  I'd
> like something with a fair amount of disk capacity, perhaps 12-14
> disks, though I'm toying with the idea of going overboard in this
> department.
>
> One thing that seems somewhat odd is that most of the internal bays
> of the cases I've seen are 5 1/4", though most disks are 3 1/2" so
> you end up with a lot of adapters.  I could see with external bays
> you have the option of installing hot-swap (or cold-swap) hardware.

Supermicro offers some cheap cases that fit your bill.  The model
below offers 11 drive bays (7 are 3.5") and it can be rack mounted.

http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/Chassis/SC742.htm
http://www.pcnation.com/asp/details.asp?item=751916

There are lots of very good but also very expensive choices for RAID
enclosures;  most are for SCSI RAID but even the IDE RAID stuff is
very pricy.

Ferdinand

--
Ferdinand Schmid