[lug] linux system cloning

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Mar 14 19:42:40 MST 2003

The very easiest way is to create a GRUB boot floppy.  Once you've
copied the drive, make it the boot drive, then boot from the GRUB floppy
and do the setup (hd0) command.

You could also mess with the GRUB drive mapping and make grub-install
work, but I think it's harder.

The problem here is that devices have to be translated into numbers for
the BIOS.  If the large copied drive isn't on Primary Master (for IDE),
GRUB will write a boot sector on the drive but it won't be pointing to
the right BIOS number.

The boot floppy fixes it by letting you install GRUB while the drive
actually is in boot position.  The drive mapping fixes it by telling
GRUB that Primary Slave (or whatever) should actually be used as if it
was Primary Master.