[lug] sendmail from cable/dhcp

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Mar 26 08:34:13 MST 2003

> Then don't.  I used my own domain name for many years, and rarely
> had problems even though there was no A record and the MX record
> pointed elsewhere.  Things aren't quite as simple now as many
> sites start strictly enforcing the protocols as an anti-spam
> measure, but it's easily worked around.  Get a domain, set up a
> free DNS account and have it point to your home box.

Unfortunately I don't think this will work with a lot of mail servers,
because what some of the remote mail servers are looking for is a *reverse*
DNS entry (IP-to-name resolution, or PTR record), which he will still have
no control over, even if he has a domain name and an A-record pointing at
his mailserver.  Depends on which mailserver he's trying to send to, of
course...

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com