[lug] Remote mouse

Mickey Taylor anna.taylor at colorado.edu
Wed Mar 26 18:28:36 MST 2003

Hi.
I have a Gyration corless mouse that I want to use to give presentations
in linux.  I have read some postings on the web that indicate that it
should be possible to make this work... but have had no luck with what
the postings suggested... here are the details.

I am running RedHat 7.2 on a Compaq 1500T.  I consistently get the kudzu
window recognizing the device as  keyboard rather than mouse (they do
make a keyboard that works with the receiver).  This has persisted
regardless of anything I have tried...

I have done the following:
1.  Added keybdev and usbkbd to blacklist in /etc/hotplug to supposedly
block the usb keyboard drivers from binding
2.  Added the following sections to XF86Config-4
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Mouse2"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
 EndSection

Section "SeverLayout"
    InputDevice "mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice "Mouse2" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

So, does anyone have ideas on what else I can do to block recognition of
the non-existent keyboard and get the mouse recognized instead??  Any
suggestions greatly appreciated!

Mickey