[lug] First of a string of dumb Debian questions

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Wed Mar 26 09:24:41 MST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 05:38:57PM -0700, jdavis wrote:

> Ok, so i changed all the "stable" in /etc/apt/sourcelist
> to testing and ran apt-update and then apt-upgrade, but didnt
> seem to get much... do i need a bigger source list..heres mine..

Note, that the 'testing' distribution is packages that are
being tested for addition to the 'stable' distribution.
Unless a new major release is coming up, there won't be a
lot of changes between stable and testing ever.  Most
packages in testing will be stable with a few quirks now and
then, but generally ok to use (again, unless a major relase
is planned such as potato to woody).  The 'unstable'
distribution, however, might have unstable packages, broken
packages, broken dependancies, etc.  You will frequently get
a lot of updates between stable and unstable, but you have
to be prepared to fix the periodic problem that arrises as
well.

> also... apt upgrade complined that it could not access the pkgs
> on my install cd... do i need to mount it before i run apt-upgrade?

The CD-ROM must be in the drive, and *not* mounted for it to
be accessed (unless they have changed things since I last
used a cdrom, which was admittedly a LONG time ago).

Also, remember to run `apt-get update` to get the latest
list of pacakges before you run `apt-get upgrade`.

--David