Subject: [lug] Remote mouse

Phil Rasch pjr at squall.cgd.ucar.edu
Thu Mar 27 12:43:06 MST 2003

Mickey Mickey Taylor <anna.taylor at colorado.edu> wrote ...
> To: lug at lug.boulder.co.us

> Hi.
> I have a Gyration corless mouse that I want to use to give presentations
> in linux.  I have read some postings on the web that indicate that it
> should be possible to make this work... but have had no luck with what
> the postings suggested... here are the details.

snip..........

> So, does anyone have ideas on what else I can do to block recognition of
> the non-existent keyboard and get the mouse recognized instead??  Any
> suggestions greatly appreciated!
>
> Mickey

I posted a similar query to this group awhile ago about another remote
pointing device, and then reposted it to the knoppix group after
waiting for suggestions from BLUG. The knoppix group provided the
final magic that worked.

Here was the trick. I needed to force usbmouse and mousedev to be
loaded at boot time by specifiying those modules in the /etc/modules
file.

I was able to sort lots of stuff out using the following method prior
to forcing those modules to load.

1) boot the machine without the receiver inserted into the USB port.
2) use insmod and rmmod as root to force the modules I wanted to try.
3) plugging in the receiver and letting hotplug try to recognize it.
4) using usbview and /var/log/messages to make sure that the hotplug
   had recognized the
   device correctly this time. This would have been the stage to muck
   about with hotplug if necessary, but at this stage in my case it
   correctly recognized the device. since X was already running, X
   didnt recognize the new device.
5) you can interate on steps 2-4 until you think the device is
   correctly recognized by linux.
6) once you think that part is right, you mess with your XF86config
   file, and restart to confirm that it can find and use the new device.

After I was sure that the mouse actually worked doing this stuff by
hand I forced the usbmouse and mousedev modules to be loaded at boot
time by specifiying those modules in the /etc/modules file.

Good luck

Phil

--
Phil Rasch, Climate Modeling Section, National Center for Atmospheric Research
Mail     --> P.O. Box 3000, Boulder CO 80307