[lug] Wireless kit?

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sat Mar 29 22:24:51 MST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Hodges" <Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov>
To: <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2003 7:21 PM
Subject: Re: [lug] Wireless kit?

> Similar question as the OP.  I have just got Qwest DSL and I would like
> a good wireless setup so I can take a laptop into the back yard and let
> my mother watch her grandchildren play.  The Actiontech modem I got
> from Qwest has a couple PCMCIA slots built in, but maybe it is best to
> go with some sort of wireless hub that connects to a RJ45 port.  I'm in
> Florida now and so I don't have the DSL modem manual handy, but I think
> it is a model 1525.  Admittedly I haven't read the manual so there may
> be good suggestions there.
>
> Gary

It likely an ActionTec 1520S gateway.  The PCMCIA slot only works with
ActionTec's $80+ wireless card, so if you're 'renting' the gateway, well....
You can buy the 1520S from ActionTec for $150+, but the firmware load needs
to be from Qwest, which is available online.  IMVHO, due to the proprietary
nature of the device and card, I'd consider buying a Cisco678 on eBay and
letting Qwest have the ActionTec back, saving the $5/month, and get a
wireless router or access point for the network.  I picked up a Speedstream
wireless 4-port hub/router the other day cheaper than PCMCIA wireless card.

Frank Whiteley
Greeley