[lug] MySql problem

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Apr 2 20:36:29 MST 2003

Terry Branaman wrote:
> 030401 21:10:56  Do you already have another mysqld server running on
> socket: /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock ?

Check for the existance and ownership of /var/lib/mysql.  It
wouldn't hurt to check mount options either - I think unix sockets
are still okay even if the FS is mounted "nodev," but I'm not 100%
sure.

This is unlikely to be your problem, but I recently moved my
/var/run directory to a tmpfs file system and had some services
fail to come up because they wanted to write their PID into files
named

  /var/run/PROCESS/PROCESS.pid

instead of

  /var/run/PROCESS.pid

with /var/run/PROCESS owned by the process, etc.  That was quickly
fixed by adding a call to 'install' to the init scripts.

(The reason why I moved this directory to a tmpfs file system was
to ensure that the system always wiped the directory when rebooted.)

I doubt you have the same setup, but you may have a similar
problem with initialization.  Beyond that, I can't help you since
I almost always use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL, and both seem to
bring up the sockets under /tmp or /var/tmp under Debian.

Bear