[lug] Mozilla Mail Questions

Warren Sanders sanders at montanalinux.org
Thu Apr 10 11:45:47 MDT 2003

George Sexton wrote:

> I guess another question with Mozilla and IMAP is this:
>
> The options for deleting seem to be:
>
> 1) Move to trash
>
> If you move to trash, the message is moved to the trash folder, and
> the IMAP folder is immediately compacted. This has to create a lot of
> overhead on the server if your folders have any size.
>
> If you  mark as deleted, there doesn't seem to be any way to create a
> folder view that hides deleted messages. You end up having to compact
> folders all of the time.
>
> Is there a way to create a view that hides deleted messages so folder
> only have to be compacted occasionally?

In the same settings panel, you can find Server Settings and check for
"Clean up ("Expunge"> Inbox on Exit.  This is not set by default I
believe, but only creates the overhead at the end of you session.  I
never have experienced the immediate overhead after deleting before
setting this, so my belief is that it never has done immediate expunge.

--
Warren Sanders
http://MontanaLinux.Org