[lug] Mozilla 1.3 : can't see attachments

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue Apr 15 16:25:01 MDT 2003

William D. Knoche wrote:

> A little off topic in that this happens mostly on Windoze... though I
> have seen it on Solaris and Linux but can't reproduce.
>
> The box on the right hand side of the headers area that appears when
> attachments are present on the message window no longer appears.
>
> There were a couple of bugs, one marked as a dulicate, on bugzilla
> don't seem to address the problem or are inoccrectly
> captured/described. I would like to file another bug so am collecting
> more info.
>
> It seem to me to have more to do with the user's profile since if I
> delete the profile and make a new one, the new one works fine for a
> while. I am not sure what triggers it to not work but seems to have
> something to do with changing themes or some combination of
> preferences - perhaps "show attachments inline" being selected and
> then de-selected, etc.
> The attachtments are really there - one can do a "edit as new" and
> they appear in the new compose window - they just never appear in the
> message display window.
>
> Any ideas?
> Has anyone else experienced this? On Linux? Other?

This happened to me once, and restarting the X server is what fixed it
(KRUD/RH 7.3). It never happened again. At the time it happened, the
machine had been booted for probably 12 hours under heavy load. I
changed to runlevel 3 and back 5, and things worked again. I don't know
what triggered this for me, but it happened only the one time, and there
was no need to delete anything. Basically, none of the file attachments
were visible. I think it might be some sort of refresh issue.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com