[lug] Ideas to Improve This List

J. Wayde Allen wallen at village.org
Thu Apr 17 11:05:30 MDT 2003

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, Glenn Ashton wrote:

> I think the original idea was to spawn a CU Lug as a student organization.
> CU's rules allow public membership in student groups but you must always
> have 51% students.  Then there would be two distinct groups but they would
> work together.

Yes, that was part of our original reorganization scheme.

> Too much of this kind of discussion will eventually  mean that we'll have
> to incorporate, set up bylaws, etc.  Not necessarily a bad thing, but it's
> almost another discussion entirely as it creates a vastly different kind
> of group than what we have had historically.
>
> I am in favor of a "volunteer coordinating group" that can get things done
> without too much overhead.  Want to be in the group? Send an email to the
> list and we can have a coordinating group list spawned.  This is sort of
> what happened with the first CU installfest and the bigger expo event that
> happened in Denver.
>
> This group would be responsible for reporting back to the list and asking
> for help.

BLUG has pretty much always run on this principle.  Volunteer and you can
help out.  This works well for install fests and expo's as you've noted
because these have a finite lifetime.  The problem is that there tends to
be just a few people willing to commit to such activities, and once a
person volunteers the danger is that this can become a lifetime position.

> This list is a community.  I favor a kind of libertarian free association
> rather than a centrally governed regime.

That's fine - definitely keep things simple.  The question is whether BLUG
follows this model or not?

- Wayde
  (wallen at village.org)