[lug] Ideas to Improve This List (fwd)

J. Wayde Allen wallen at its.bldrdoc.gov
Fri Apr 18 16:45:34 MDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 16:16:55 -0600 (MDT)
From: Peter Hutnick <peter-lists at hutnick.com>
To: wallen at village.org
Subject: Re: [lug] Ideas to Improve This List

>> Woah.  I'd have to think twice on taking over the whole enchilada.
>
> You did say you'd consider taking over the "admin duties of such a list"
> as noted above.  Think about it.

Here's the deal.

1.  I'm not an "active LUG member."  I live in extreme South Denver
(Greenwood Village for practical purposes) and work two jobs.  Driving up
to Boulder for meetings is rarely tempting due to these circumstances.

2.  I would be totally willing to admin/moderate a "social" list.  I see
this as much less work than doing all the lists.  Maybe my perspective is
skewed on this?

3.  If I were to take over the lists I would have to be able to basically
do things my way.  This may not sound very democratic.  That's because it
isn't.  I have always seen this sort of thing as best run as a
meritocracy.  I also feel that /actually doing things/ is the primary form
of merit.  (To digress to OSS development; you may be 10 times the
programmer I am and 100 times the Computer Scientist I am, but if you
never come off with a patch it doesn't do anyone much good.)  First thing
I'd do is change the list to "must be subscribed to post" and turn off
reply to munging.  IIRC we butted heads on reply to munging in the past .
. .

4.  Finally, as mentioned above, I don't have tons of free time on my
hands.  I would only be willing to take on the whole thing if there was a
backup person to act as a safety net.  We could agree on some standards
(i.e. the pending queue should be cleared out every 24 hrs or whatever)
and figure out how to maintain those standards.  Honestly, my Fridays and
Saturdays (this note not withstanding) are pretty  tight.

So let me know what you think.  You may forward any part (or all) of this
message to the list if/when you think the discussion should go back to
that venue.

-Peter