[lug] imap question

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Fri May 2 07:21:10 MDT 2003

Hugh Brown said:
> As I've used my mail client from home, work, laptop, imap has been nice
> for keeping track of email.  However, it is tiresome to try and keep the
> filters and contacts in sync.
>
> What are people's thoughts on extending imap as a protocol to have a
> contacts and a filtering aspect?

Client side filtering rocks.  Try procmail.

IMAP is somewhat inherently extensible.  You will probably need the same
client at all locations, however.

> I haven't looked at this at all, I've just been thinking it would be
> nice to have my contact list as readily available as my email.

I'm writing this in SquirrelMail.  I find webmail over SSL to be an
unbeatable solution for email access.  It has a built in (non-IMAP)
address book.

SM requires an IMAP server, an HTTP(S) server, and a recent version of
PHP.  That's it.  Notice the conspicuous absence of a database.

-Peter