[lug] imap question

Philip Cooper Philip.Cooper at openvest.org
Fri May 2 11:41:10 MDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 09:08:08AM -0400, Hugh Brown wrote:
> As I've used my mail client from home, work, laptop, imap has been nice
> for keeping track of email.  However, it is tiresome to try and keep the
> filters and contacts in sync.

For filtering there is little question.  Any time you use a mail
client for this you will eventually come up short (upgrades migrations
etc).  Procmail is the king and worth using.  There's nothing it can't
do if you are willing to forgo pointie clickie stuff and write
regualar expressions to do the work (much easier than extending the
imap protocol;-).  I've heard good things also about maildrop, it's
maybe a little simplier.

I've not used ladp, but contacts are more of a problem.  I use mutt
for my mail client and putty to ssh into my mail server machine.  That
way I'm always using the same client on the same machine no matter
what machine I'm connected to the net with.  For those times that I do
need to see some stupid HTML only email (booo hisss) or view an
attachment I also use Squirrelmail.  I can fire up any web browser and
be a GUI kind of guy.

These are things that allow me to work from any machine.  If you chose
an extensible mail client like Mahogony (python based) you can craft
you own solution but then only use it where you have it
installed. Good luck.

--
Phil Cooper CFA