[lug] remote xterm question...: X servers for Windows

Philip Cooper Philip.Cooper at openvest.org
Mon May 12 12:02:57 MDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 09:46:30AM -0600, John E. Koontz wrote:
> At 07:40 PM 5/9/2003 -0600, you wrote:

>> I have a RH 9 box and would like to access it remotely from a
>> Windoz box.  Can anyone suggest what software I should place on
>> each to accomplish said task?  I read some online docs, but can't
>> seem to ascertain the best open source solution.
>
> You can connect with ssh, e.g., puTTY, and other options, though I
> like puTTY best of the free ones (and most other I've used!).  There
> are less secure ways to connect, but no good reason to use them.

Lots of great info in the responses so I'll keep my $.02 short.  I've
found even 100mbs eathernet connections sluggish with xterm gui stuff.
If you are talking about doing this over the Internet, be sure about
responsivness/speed before you spend $.02.  I do everything I need
with puTTY, (telnet should be off in almost all circumstances).

--
Phil