[lug] Execute a local binary from a 'form' in konqueror

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Mon May 12 20:44:07 MDT 2003

Jason W. Strnad wrote:

> I'm endeavoring to setup a linux box that will pass the 'grandma test'.
>  What I am attempting feels Bad and Wrong (TM), but it seems to be the
> best solution for all involved, and I hope to get some input from you
> guys.  (or at least some good flames. =)
>
> So, I have whipped up a little shell script that determines how
> Konqueror should be launched based upon whether there is an internet
> connection (if ppp0 then foo else bar).  If I have a connection I load a
> web page, if I don't I load a local html file that has instructions on
> how to connect, complete with links.  Currently one of the links is to a
> local binary (kppp), and as it is simply an html file a warning you
> about executing binaries from web pages (as well it should).
>
> I'm not stuck on this form being in HTML, or anything else for that
> matter, only that the dialer be executable from the form.  I'd rather
> the form load in Konqueror since that is her interface and icons and
> menus mostly confuse her.  Also, the machine cannot connect
> automagically because she only has a single phone line and has a medical
> monitoring service (to ensure she hasn't fallen and cant get up) which
> needs the phone to be available.  (short phone calls and internet
> sessions are ok)
>
> Any suggestions?

It's still a bit confusing as to what is to be accomplished. It's
obvious you have a browser that needs to either load an outside web page
if possible, or else provide information on how to get to the outside.
Were you looking for something to do a modem open if not? Instead of a
script, I'd use cgi and have the browser only open the index.cgi page,
then let the page do the right thing, basically starting with your
script. It is possible you might even be able to set up most of the
script by copy and paste, with only html/http type additions around it.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com