[lug] Monitor Email

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Tue May 13 13:43:44 MDT 2003

jd said:
> On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 07:34, Peter Hutnick wrote:
>> jd said:
>> > Hello,
>> >  A client of mine has asked if I can set up a way
>> > for him to monitor email. He actually wants to see
>> > the content. So, I have tried using.. (on the Linux
>> firewall/gateway)
>> >
>> >  tcpdump -X  tcp port 110
>>
>> Is there a good reason that you are short-circuiting the MTA?  Does he
>> really want to see the email only as it is fetched from POP?  Does he
>> really only care about /incoming/ email?
>
> no he wants it all...command above was just example.
> well, the mail server is not on the lan that i get to work with. And I
> dont even have a public IP to set one up. Any suggestions?

Ooh.  There's nothing good about that.  He wants to snoop all connections
to /any/ mail servers originating on his network?  This is a total ethical
minefield.  Maybe he should just block 25, 110, and 143 and have done.

If he really must snoop all this mail you could grab it off the wire as
you have been and pipe it into procmail, which would deliver it to a mail
user.  And he could view it with his favorite MUA.  This link might help:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue14/procmail.html

-Peter