alien and perl config, was: Re: [lug] .deb to tarball or .rpm

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Tue May 20 15:15:01 MDT 2003

Andrew Gilmore wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 13:51, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> >Jason W. Strnad wrote:
> >

> >>Alien: http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/
> >
> >Interesting, I had this package already, as part of the KRUD 7.3
> >install. Unfortunately, something is configured wrong, as it fails on
> >the perl line "use Alien::Package::Deb", in trying to use the --to-rpm
> >(or --to-tgz) option. However, the perl module does exist, it is at
> >/usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/Alien/Package/Deb.pm
>
>                  ^^^^^
>

> >...it simply can't find it. The perl script is using the proper perl,
> >5.6.1, via #!/usr/bin/perl -w. Anyone here know if there is some special
>
>   ^^^^^
>
> >environment setup for perl which RH/KRUD 7.3 lacks to find perl packages?
> >
> >D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com

> In case you're reading with a proportional spaced font, I've indicated
> that the perl version for which the Alien perl module is installed is
> not the same as the perl version actually being run.

I thought the 5.6.1 was just a patch level change, and that it would
search both 5.6.0 and 5.6.1. Seems silly if it doesn't.

> Does the 5.6.0 path show up in @INC at the bottom of perl -V ?

It shows up *partially*. It shows up in /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.0,
but not directly under /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0. Is this something I can
just sym link from the alien 5.6.0 modules into the 5.6.1 module
directory? Or would this be bass-ackwards, and the real fix should be to
modify a perl config (though I imagine this would require a source rpm
spec file change)? I have used the sym link approach, and it works, but
it generates some warnings.