alien and perl config, was: Re: [lug] .deb to tarball or .rpm

Andrew Gilmore agilmore at uc.usbr.gov
Tue May 20 14:06:29 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 13:51, D. Stimits wrote:
> Jason W. Strnad wrote:
>
> > Alien: http://www.kitenet.net/programs/alien/
>
> Interesting, I had this package already, as part of the KRUD 7.3
> install. Unfortunately, something is configured wrong, as it fails on
> the perl line "use Alien::Package::Deb", in trying to use the --to-rpm
> (or --to-tgz) option. However, the perl module does exist, it is at
> /usr/lib/perl5/5.6.0/Alien/Package/Deb.pm
                 ^^^^^

> ...it simply can't find it. The perl script is using the proper perl,
> 5.6.1, via #!/usr/bin/perl -w. Anyone here know if there is some special
  ^^^^^
> environment setup for perl which RH/KRUD 7.3 lacks to find perl packages?
>
> D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com
>

> > On Tue, 2003-05-20 at 13:25, D. Stimits wrote:
> >
> > >What is the simplest way on a RH box to convert a .deb package to
> > >tarball and/or rpm.

In case you're reading with a proportional spaced font, I've indicated
that the perl version for which the Alien perl module is installed is
not the same as the perl version actually being run.

Does the 5.6.0 path show up in @INC at the bottom of perl -V ?

I'd see if this is fixable. :)

Andrew