[lug] partitioning a build machine

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue May 27 13:09:37 MDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 13:08, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> I'm putting together a machine to do builds using various distributions
> of Linux.  I've got two 30G drives and a 10G drive.  My plan is to
> install the core components and sw dev tools inside a 10G partition for
> each Linux distribution, which means I can have (roughly) 7
> distributions to build on.  Swap will take up a small part of one of the
> partitions and be shared by each distribution.
>
> I haven't done this in forever, so my question is:  can I install each
> distribution in a 10G partition like this and just create boot diskettes
> for each?  Right now I'm installed RH 9.x (via KRUD) and using Disk
> Druid to partition.  I've made each other 10G partition a mount point
> for this RH9.x install, naming each mount point by its distribution
> name.  I did this primarily to format the disks during this install - I
> don't intend on touching them when I do installs of the other
> distributions.
>
> Is this a good way of doing this?  Should I leave the other partitions
> alone when I do my install of the other distributions (just specifying
> which is to be the root mount point)?  Can the boot diskettes know which
> partition to use as their root and which ones to leave alone?  Can they
> use a root partition that isn't on the first drive?
>
> I think the answer to all this is "yes, this works fine," but I thought
> I'd get some comments from others who have put together similar
> machines.

Hi Michael,

If you're not doing kernel work, then I have the (perhaps?) the perfect
solution for you:

  http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/mini/Multi-Distro-Dev

which details the few simple tricks it takes to use chroot for
development and testing across multiple distros without having to
reboot.

hth,
Ed

--