[lug] OT: M$

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed May 28 16:29:16 MDT 2003

* Nick Golder (purenrg at hiveportal.net) wrote:
> On 03-05-26 00:06 -0600, jd wrote:
> >

> > Hello,
> >   Just wanted to make some ruquest and rant a little.
> >
> > PLEASE PLEASE never buy a M$ XBox!!
> >

> What!?!  And pass up the oppurtunity to pick up a Celeron 733MHz, 10GB HD,
> 64MB RAM and a great video subsystem with DVD that can run GNU/Linux?
> All while sticking it to the corporate monster that is losing money on
> /ACTUAL/ console sales hoping to recover costs on games licensing?  No,
> no, no!  Buy this little system and hack it!  Preserve your freedom to
> tinker!  Heck, grab a couple of these little systems and build a low
> cost GNU/Linux cluter. ;-)  Do all this while sticking it, in a small
> fashion as it may be, to the corporate machine that some have grown to
> love to hate.  And all this for $179!
>
> And to steer this even closer to being on topic, the Linux Journal will
> be featuring an article next month (July's issue) on how to make your
> Xbox a nice little GNU/Linux system.
>
> An some links for your viewing pleasure:
> http://xbox-linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> Out of interest, have any list locals attempted this, yet?  I had an
> oppurtunuty to see one in action at the end of last year during a user's
> group meeting in IA.  I have to admit, it does perform nicely.  After
> all, once GNU/Linux is loaded, the only thing left that is Microsoft is
> the logo. ;-)

Nick is spot-on here.  If we all buy Xboxes, use them for Linux, and
never support any of the game comanies, we hurt Microsoft.  So we should
all buy as many Xboxes as we can afford.  Too bad I can't afford even
one.  Even if I could, I'v got too many computers as it is...

I wonder how much MS looses per Xbox?  I've read some estimates as high
as $200 or more.

Tim
==  Timothy Klein || teece at silverklein.net  ==
==  http://i148.denver.dsl.forethought.net  ==