[lug] linux firewall, popup windows spam blocking

D. Stimits stimits at attbi.com
Sat Jun 21 13:39:06 MDT 2003

It seems that www.byebyeads.com is illegally violating Colorado spam
laws (and probably newer national laws), and fraudulently claiming on
their web page that their spam is legal. They seem to believe this
because they are using the windows pop-up message service, rather than
email. I know because they caused an application to crash by popping up
such a message while an application was loading, and somehow managed to
break the screenshot mechanism at the same time.

What I'm wondering is if anyone knows what I can block on my linux
firewall to block popups from other networks? Are these popups UDP or
TCP? What port or ports are used? I already have 137:139 blocked, and
some others. I even have zonealarm firewall on the windows machine
itself, but it still allowed this popup. I'd like to totally remove this
remote ability via the linux end, as nothing related to security on
windows can be trusted.

D. Stimits, stimits AT attbi DOT com