[lug] RAID 5 to RAID 1

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Tue Jun 24 03:40:03 MDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 03:41:15PM -0600, Bill Jorgensen wrote:

> [ ... on using tar ...]
>
> tar cvf - ./fs's_to_tar | ( cd <new_mount> ; tar xvf - )

it might be a good idea to add '-S' or '--sparse' to the tar
command -- otherwise sparse files might eat up a _lot_ more
disk space ....
The  '-P --absolute-paths' might also be a good idea as would
be '--preserve' (preserve permissions and file order).
If you archive development files you might want to use '--atime-preserve'
as well or 'make' might get confused.

But then, i personally would use 'pax' ;-)

  Ralf Mattes