[lug] linux firewall, popup windows spam blocking

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Tue Jun 24 14:19:19 MDT 2003

On Tuesday 24 June 2003 10:14, Bear Giles wrote:
> > If you want to send me email, attach 1/100'th of a cent.  I'll gladly pay
> > you the same to accept email that I send.
>
> That's too micro.  I've heard numbers around 5 to 10 cents,
> configurable by the recipient.  For personal accounts limited to
> close friends and families to tariff could be as high as a buck.

For blug members, $2.  My employer would owe me a big-time salary increase for
all those automated "system down" and logwatch messages.  Seriously though,
I'd prefer a technical solution that doesn't impact non-spam uses.

I can envision potential for abuse with the micro payments.  What if I
subscribe 100 freemail accounts to an exploder (like the BLUG list)?
Suddenly, you all owe me $100 in e-mail tarrifs for sending a message to a
single address.  Or what if list membership triples overnight?  There's
currently no mechanism to warn you of how many end-recipients a single
address will reach.  Can lists be effectively exempt without creating a large
loophole and/or central list-blessing authority?  If not, I don't think I'd
ever feel safe sending a message to an exploder.  Hmm, maybe it's not such a
good plan.

Or maybe this has all been worked out.  Can anyone reference a completed plan?