[lug] G40 Series Thinkpad Problems

Matthew Snelham infinite at sigalrm.com
Sun Jul 13 15:30:49 MDT 2003

On 13 Jul 2003 02:44 PM or thereabouts, Frederic Herman wrote:
> I downloaded the driver software from Broadcom and rebuilt the driver
> (has to be compiled against kernel).  That all seemed to go OK.
> However, the driver fails to load:
>
> [root at moby root]# insmod bcm5700
> Using /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-18.9/kernel/drivers/net/bcm5700.o: init_module: No
> such device
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
>
> There is nothing in the messages syslog from the attempted load.
> /proc/pci sees the hardware, and so does /proc/iomem

That message means just what it says... there is no hardware on the system
that driver recognizes.  It's probably not the right one, but it was worth
a try.

> From my very limited understanding, it seems like the driver doesn't
> know where the hardware is.  Maybe the driver is really for a pcicard
> version of the chipset, or maybe it's a configuration problem.  Since
> neither IBM nor Broadcom are willing to provide any information, I'm at
> a loss.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Most on-board devices are still PCI based, so it usually doesn't matter if
the chipset is on a card or nestled onto the mainboard, and the error
message that modprobe gave you is pretty clear, it's likely not a config
issue.

Given how new the G40 is (< 1 month old), you probably need a custom
driver, and no one at IBM or in the community has felt the pain yet.

Keep bothering IBM, at least until they tell you which chipset is being
used, and mention Linux at least twice to everyone you get on the phone.
Like most hardware vendors, they get it eventually, it just takes
repetition.

--Matthew
infinite at sigalrm.com

--
   "OMPHALOSKEPSISIPA:
   Contemplating ones navel as an aid to meditation."