[lug] Wireless networking

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Jul 16 12:29:13 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 12:58, Terry Branaman wrote:
> Here is the trimmed-down version:
> Jul 16 10:54:02 laptop kernel: unable to grab IRQ 0
> Jul 16 10:54:02 laptop kernel: Intel ICH soundcard not found or device
> busy
> Jul 16 10:54:02 laptop insmod:
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.o.gz:
> init_module: No such device

[*snip*]

> It looks like it is trying to load sound drivers (I've never gotten the
> sound working on this laptop, but it hasn't been a priority); what does
> that have to do with a network card :( ????

Hi Terry,

Yes, the information you're sending certainly indicates that its trying
to load sound and related modules for an Intel i810--type chipset.  The
i810 (and its derivatives) are cheap-o unified-memory designs where the
main memory is used for everything including video.  They've had spotty
Linux support.

Are you sure you have pcmcia installed and working?  I'm not familiar
with Mandrake, but with Red Hat its a separate RPM (that is, not part of
the kernel RPM).  And if pcmcia is installed on your system, why are we
not seeing any messages from it when you insert a pcmcia/cardbus card?
Its going to be hard for anyone to debug pcmcia issues without
feedback...

Ed

ps - try: "rpm -qa | grep -i pcmcia"

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com