[lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 6 10:35:23 MDT 2003

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 09:54, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> I would be surprised if SCO sells a single copy.  I would also be
> surprised if this would hold up in court -- even if 20% of the kernel
> were SCO IP, they would not have the right to redistribute the other
> 80%.

Another barrier to collection attempts would be the fast pace of Linux kernel
development.  If the court identified some infringing code, it would be
quickly replaced.  Given the choice of upgrading to non-infinging code or
licensing, I think most folks would upgrade.  That's why SCO is keeping the
specifics a secret, but eventually they will need to come clean, and the
community can begin rapidly fixing that chunk of code.

While SCO _MAY_ have a legitimate claim, there's really no cash-cow to milk.
As they say, "like squeezing blood from a turnip."