[lug] C extensions of PostgreSQL

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 14:35:13 MDT 2003

B Giles wrote:

> It can't be that simple if you need to palloc some memory!

It is. In the version 1 interface all variable length parameters (text,
varchar) must be passed by reference. All pass-by-reference are
allocated with palloc. I am passing a short varchar string (C type
VarChar). I would allocate with malloc, but this would either seg fault
or be a memory leak, since PostegreSQL wouldn't know to deallocate.

> Have you considered grabbing the source for the various contributed
> packages?  It may be faster to see how other user-defined functions were
> written than to go through the PostgreSQL core software.

I just want to know what lib to link...the sample code I have is fine,
it is coded and complete...what I need is for a lib that implements
functionality for palloc (those symbols missing are because palloc
references them).

> Just say clear of user-defined types.  My code worked (in 7.1), but it
> was scary. Lots and lots of nested macros.

I have only the existing types. Varchar is not custom.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net