[lug] OT: Tape Drive Rental

Michael Deck deckm at cleansoft.com
Thu Aug 7 15:50:52 MDT 2003

Why not create an alliance, formalized by contract, with another business that might have a similar problem to solve? Each of you would agree to provide certain services to the other on 24 hours notice, and agrees to maintain specific hardware in good working order etc. etc. You'd want to arrange for periodic testing, maybe every 6 months you swap tapes and try to load the others' system.

At 03:46 PM 8/7/2003, Zan Lynx wrote:
>This is not really a Linux question, although the system in question IS
>running Linux. :-)  I'm hoping for some good advice anyway...
>
>I'm working on a disaster recovery plan.  I have to assume the building
>is gone, the machines are all vaporized, and all I have is this one
>precious little Travan 20 GB tape.
>
>For the recovery plan, I'm recommending the purchase of new equipment,
>since it'll be better than anything we're using now, but the tape drive
>gives me a problem.  Travan tape drives can't be found in CompUSA and I
>don't want to put in my plan: "Wait for Joe's Computer Parts to deliver
>tape drive in 10 days...if it's in stock."  After such a disaster I
>don't want another Travan drive anyway.  AIT or DLT would be much
>better!
>
>Does anyone know of a business in Colorado that would rent out tape
>drives?  Maybe a data recovery place?  It seems like such a good idea
>that I'm sure someone must do it...
>
>Thanks for any help!
>--
>Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>