[lug] CISCO VPN Client for Linux

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Aug 7 17:43:04 MDT 2003

John Starkey wrote:

> Quoting Nate (deleted his reply, sorry).
> "They used to have a client that worked pretty well.  It required a
> specific kernel version and it build a module or something like that,
> been a year or three since I've used it.  But I remember it always "just
> worked" once the installation was done."
>
> I think it's pretty shotty now. One of my clients' IT depts tried to get it working late last year and decided to give up, saying Cisco was promising an update or something to that effect.
>
> I don't know if this has changed at Cisco, but as of last month my client didn't know of any reason to attempt it again.

Bummer.  Big companies always seem to know how to screw up good things,
eh?  :-)

It was definitely not "point and click" like the Windows Cisco clients,
it was command-line and you had to futz around with the keys... but once
you fiddled for a while with it, and got it working... it just made my
linux box look like it was sitting on the network at the office.  Neat
trick.

Speaking of "point and click" anyone found a simple solution for setting
up a VPN router on Linux that has a really simple clean client you could
hand the dumbest of computer users and they could figure out how to get
logged onto it from a Windows box?

That seems the ultimate solution... let the Linux/Unix folks set up
their VPN clients and routing with their good ol' command line tools
using standard stuff like FreeS/WAN or similar, and a nice client for
the Windows users who just don't "get it" but that you need to give VPN
access to.  :-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
"When all else fails, play dead."