[lug] The SCO IP License.. where do I click?

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 11 14:58:30 MDT 2003

On Monday 11 August 2003 14:16, Sean Reifschneider wrote:
> Also, SCO can claim that people who have worked on any of this code are
> tainted and can't touch the kernel again as well, without threat of
> action.  If SCO wins it's claims, it could spell the end of the Linux
> kernel, and some of the best hackers aren't likely to be able to move
> over to HURD and pick up where they left off there.  That's my
> impression, at least.

This may be impossible to enforce since nobody's getting a paycheck for
writing the code.  A social security number and proof of identity isn't
required to contribute code to GPL projects.  Just an e-mail address and a
name will do.

SCO is up against a rather shapeless and resilient entity, and I'm not so sure
that a moderate judgement in their favor will doom the Linux kernel.  Maybe
I'm being overly optimistic, but that's my point of view.